Monday, August 6, 2012

Red, Cream, and Navy Desk

Kim, a client, needed a desk for her son Matt. She wanted it to have the colors of his bedroom, which were Red, Cream and Blue. Her son is a big New York Yankees fan, plus he also plays baseball, so I knew I needed to incorporate that somehow. I found a desk that came with a chair, sent her a picture from my cell to hers, and she liked it. I sometimes forget to take "before pictures"-sorry. I kinda caught myself this time. When I found this desk it was entirely beige with one cranberry colored drawer. The chair was solid cranberry with a boring fabric on the seat.
The blue you see was added by me. I tried Behr's paint in the MLB Yankees Blue, and it was waaay too bright! So, I decided a Navy would be best. I wanted the cream on the drawers so I repainted them in Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint in Old White. Love that color!

I painted the longest drawer a Blue based Red. I bought some simple wooden knobs that I hand-painted to look like baseballs with red stitching. 
 
I painted the hardware on the smallest drawers in the same Blue based red that I painted on the longest drawer. I covered the cranberry chair's seat with a great Red, Cream, and Blue Madras Fabric that was sooooo perfect!I found it at Jo-Ann Fabric's. I painted the cranberry chair in ASCP in Old White and lightly sanded it all over to allow some of the color below it to peak through. All of the cream on the desk was repainted ASCP in Old White.
It's a great desk for Matt to grow in! I had a great time doing it and now I'm looking for a desk for his sister.


Happy Creating!
~Catherine

2 comments:

  1. Catherine.
    What a difference it made when you changed the royal blue to a navy and added the beautiful-Ralph Lauren--style seat cover. It
    turned out lovely.
    C.M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much C.M.! Yes, that first blue probably would glow in the dark! I also thought the fabric looked like Ralph Lauren. It really suited an all American looking desk. It originally cost 24.99 a yard (ouch!), however I got it on sale! I love a bargain!

      Delete