Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Painted Chest

My client Patty wanted to turn her daughter's old toy chest into a chest that would hold blankets and throws in her living room. She was repainting her living room using three colors from Behr's paint line at Home Depot (Classic Taupe, Adobe Straw, and Earth Tone). Her living room was going to have a Southwestern style to it. My client wanted to incorporate the colors from a painting in her living room in the chest. To do this, I added Teal to the colors listed above.
One of the colors in the painting was a beautiful Teal. So I wanted to have that be the first layer of paint. This way when I sanded the edges at the end, the Teal would show through.
The second color I used was Classic Taupe. I painted the inside of the chest with Adobe Straw. Then I used a dry brush to apply the Adobe Straw over the Classic Taupe on the exterior. 
I then added Earth Tone on the exterior. I applied Annie Sloan's Clear Wax all over the exterior followed by her Dark Wax. I took the above picture before using the Dark Wax on the bottom of the chest. You can really see the contrast between the two Waxes and texture they create.
Here you can see the difference between the interior and exterior of the chest.

After sanding the edges of the chest, the Teal kind of peeks through. This creates a distressed and vintage look to the chest as if this was something my client found on her trip through the Southwest.

Happy Creating!
~Catherine

No comments:

Post a Comment