Sunday, August 12, 2012

Little Girl's Desk

This is the finished product of a desk I made for Kim, a client, and her daughter, Amanda.
BEFORE

I sanded down the entire desk and chair. I used Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint ( ASCP ), in Old White. The client wanted the desk to match her daughter's already existing bedroom furniture, which was Cream in color. Her daughter loved the colors Purple, Pink, and Aqua, with Purple being her favorite. They did not want it over the top girly, as Amanda is sporty too.
 
When you add paint to the molding on furniture, then the hidden details really pop. Here you can see the little diamond pattern emerge. I decided I would paint this a Deep Purple color.

 I painted the  bottom drawer with the Deep Purple and Medium Pink in a striped pattern. The background was ASCP in Old White. The middle drawer was kept simple and painted in Old White. The handles on the bottom two drawers were painted in the Deep Purple. The top drawer was Decoupaged with an adorable wrapping paper that has butterflies and flowers in Purples, Pinks, and Lime Green. The background of the paper was Cream so it was just perfect! The center drawer was also kept simple with Old White Paint. I Added Purple Daisy Knobs to the long middle drawer, and to the Decoupaged drawer. It was pure luck that I found them! The chair was painted in the Old White with the back spindles in Deep Purple and Medium Pink like the stripes on the drawer. I also painted some of the rings on the legs of the desk  Deep Purple and Medium Pink. I added a light coating of Minwax's Fast Drying Polyurethane to both the Desk and chair.



AFTER: A great desk and chair to grow with.

Happy Creating!
~Catherine

4 comments:

  1. I just love this desk! How creative and fun, look foward to seeing more of your creativity! Good luck best wishes!

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the lovely words, and your best wishes Annie! That was really sweet of you! It was such great fun to do this desk! I'm getting ready to do the Atlantic Highlands Historical Society 34th annual Flea Market. It is on September 8,2012 in Atlantic Highlands, N.J. It is from 10:00 AM to 4 PM at the town Marina. So,if your in New Jersey please come by and say hello! Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Hi Catherine,
    I have this medium sized hutch that I no longer can use since we moved from a four bedroom house to a one bedroom apartment. I'm looking for suggestions on how else I could use it and would love you to paint a color or technique over the existing color (white). Any thoughts or links that might help me with the process?
    Thanks a bunch--C.M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi C.M.! Of course you can still use your hutch, even thought you have down sized. Here are my thoughts; if you have a great collection of say American Stoneware, Plates, Vases, books, etc. I would use the hutch in your living room space to showcase some of your collections. Your choices of looks with paint are endless. I would google painted hutch, and clink on images to see what is out there. I would love to look at it, and your new space. I gather you are in N.J., so contact me at upcyclestyle.blogspace.com and we can chat further! Thank you again!

      Delete