Saturday, August 4, 2012

Old Pine TV Cabinet Turned into Liquor Cabinet



Recently I made over a simple pine cabinet for my Big Sis while in Virginia. It was originally downstairs in her house used for housing a T.V. She wanted to turn it into a Liquor Cabinet and have it on her screened in porch for entertaining during the summer. She pretty much allowed me to be as creative as I wished. She loves ASCP (Annie Sloan Chalk Paint), but it can be a little costly. Her one request was to have the cabinet painted Duck Egg Blue. A beautiful color! Once again I'm frugal, so I used Sharon's at Elizabeth & Co. recipe for ASCP in Duck Egg Blue. Well, Miss Sharon was right on the money, and it looked terrific! I painted the entire outside of the cabinet in Behr's Lotus Leaf (visit Elizabeth &Co. for exact formula), then I used Annie Sloan's Clear Wax on all but the hardware, followed by Annie Sloan's Dark Wax. I added and rubbed off different amounts until it had the right look. I spray painted all the hardware with black Rust-Olium and hand-painted  the hardware that I was unable to remove with ASCP in Graphite.



I painted the inside of the door and drawer in a "Mystery"sage green paint that Sis had  around. I also used the clear and dark Annie Sloan Wax on these areas as well.On the inside door panels, as well as the exterior door panels, I painted Chalkboard Paint. 


 Happy Creating!
~Catherine

6 comments:

  1. Catherine,
    So you can turn wood into a usable chalkboard by simply using a paint product. Does this only work on unfinished wood ? I love how you made this piece multi-functional- you're very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the lovely words! Please make sure you are using Chalk Board Paint, which you can find at Home Depot or Lowes. The wood doesn't have to be finished, but I would prime it first. Zinsser makes a great primer and sealer. You can pretty much turn anything into a chalk board. Matter of fact, one of my daughter's wanted to paint all of the walls in her bedroom in chalk paint. She could have done it, but I'm happy she didn't! Also, chalk board paint comes in many colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great looking pieces of furniture

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was lucky to see some of your furniture at your last show. I loved the aqua dresser with over-sized cedar drawers, glass handles .... you truly have an eye and a talent. I am disappointed that I was an hour too late to purchase for myself!!!! I will be calling you to paint my daughter's dresser when we get back from the Cape.

    Sue Moriano

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! Guess whose working on another Aqua Dresser? This one also has glass knobs, and I did a new hardware technique I think you will love. This one will be sold at the Atlantic Highlands Historical Flea Market in Atlantic Highlands, N.J. on September 8th. I hope to see you there, and look forward to hearing from you soon!

      Delete